My Thanksgiving Alternative

That is a HOT fire! My candle half melted!


As I'm sure I've mentioned before, the American Thanksgiving holiday bothers me, and I stopped celebrating it many years ago.  I still visit with family--we visited my mom today--but the day does not hold the same meaning for me that it does for most Americans.  For me, it's just another Thursday.  I take advantage of the quiet to get things done, to rest up, and to generally just unwind.  I don't overindulge in food or drink, and though I generally give thanks every day for my many blessings, I just don't make a big deal out of it on this particular day.  Instead, I celebrate Lughnasad, the first harvest, on August 1.

This year, when considering alternatives to the traditional Thanksgiving, I thought of ways to reach out to indigenous peoples everywhere and help.  I decided to do a simple meditation, which I called the Ritual for All People. I simply meditated on the ways in which all people are fundamentally the same.  I reflected on my own life recently and how I'd been lashing out at people who don't deserve it, simply because I am under stress.  I asked how all people could heal and how I could rein in my own prickliness and be a nicer person.  I was reminded by Spirit that we are all one and that divisions are artificial.  in my own case, I was instructed to just slow down. (As an apparent reminder of this, as I was cleaning up, I spilled hot wax all over my hand! Ok, Universe!  Now you have my attention!)

I was given what may evolve into a poem or prayer--just snippets.

All people are one people.
Divisions are artificial,
Contrived, 
Political,
Born of fear.

Every laugh is a piece of the answer.
Every tear also a piece.
Every language is a snippet of a great song...

(That's as far as I've gotten.  That is all that I was given.  It is up to me to finish it.)

Typically, my rituals are very short, but they are always satisfying and lovely.

Regardless of what you celebrate on this day, I hope you are having an abundant and pleasant late Autumn! Blessed be!

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Will Not Help Witches Bind the President

Nature Teachings: Ant

Foundations: Altars- My Breaking Rock